Saturday, May 26, 2012

My Spring 2012 Frugal Gardening Tips


My Spring 2012 Frugal Gardening Tips

As many of you already know my other HUGE love, besides couponing, is gardening :)
There are MANY ways to save money doing it too! 
On my front porch I have a couple chairs and a table that I found at the curb 
and freshened up with a can of spray paint. 
I took a pretty framed picture that I got at a garage sale for $.25 and put it up 
with 2 sided tape over the table to make it homey.
I just LOVE sitting out there in the morning and posting for you all! 
The stained glass window was another curb find, 
along with the broken bird bath that seconds as a planter, 
and the antique metal pail that collects the water that drips from the faucet for me to water my plants with. 
You can also use old baskets and line them with plastic (make slits for drainage), 
or set the pot right down in it if it fits,
 and they make beautiful, eye appealing pots for your plants! 
I bring out houseplants to save on purchasing expensive potted hanging flower plants, 
and they are very happy and thankful :) 
I pot as many of my annuals as possible so I can bring them in over the winter. 
Even my coleus are up to 4 years old! 
I don't have to re-purchase next spring, and imagine the price they would be at the size they are now!
To save money on pots I get creative.
MANY people toss them to the curb or sell them at garage sales. 
A can of spray paint freshens they up beautifully and gives you a little creativity.
My veggies I pot and they get the most sun on my deck. 
Beefsteak tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green bell peppers, banana peppers and even zucchini! 
All except the zuchinni you can bring into the house for the winter. 
They WILL continue to grow, and they produce a little even. 
Makes your home pretty and green for the winter and saves you money the following year again!
Planting your own veggies and herbs saves a TON of money on groceries too!
If you want to take a peek at my prior postings regarding Frugal Gardening Tips check out
My Frugal Gardning Tips January Update and My Frugal Fall Gardning Tips.