Saturday, September 20, 2014

Fall Decorating on a Budget



Fall Decorating on a Budget
10/8/2012
Decorating Does NOT Have To Break The Bank!
I love making all the holidays festive for my kids and myself, 
but I don't like wasting money to make it all happen. Hopefully my Frugal Tips will help you save too :)
I just decorated my front yard today!
Yesterday the girls and I hopped in my car and headed out to find pumpkins to carve, and to find anything else we could along the way to decorate for the fall outside.
We started at a friend's house who owns a farm! He let us borrow a bail of hay and cut down some dried cornstalks for us. Final Price = FREE!!!!! Hay bails will be scarce at your local spots this year since there IS a shortage of hay, and even most of the farmers who sell it for a profit are just NOT selling this year. They're having to keep it all to feed their own cows. So if you do find some at stores, expect pricing to be high. Ours WILL be returned when done so the cows can have their yummies this winter.
The pumpkins we purchased out front of another farm we found along our travels.
Pricing was AMAZING! $5.00, $3.00, $1.00 and 2/$1.00
The largest ones we got were $3.00 each. You can't beat THAT pricing!
If you're local it was at the farm on the corner of Whitney Rd and Swadling Rd in Ontario.
We found a little roadside stand on Ridge Rd & at the corner of Lincoln Rd in Ontario
and got 12 gourds for $.25 each. Got 8 more for my brother too.
We also went to Country Max on RT 104 in Ontario.
Their mums started at $2.99 each and we got the little tin bucket on 50% Clearance for $2.99 also.
Just love it!
The big, metal, standing Scarecrow Girl I got last year on 75% Off Clearance at The Christmas Tree Shop in Henrietta :)
We found another great place in our adventure on Lincoln Rd in Walworth called G&S OrchardsPricing again was PHENOMENAL! The roadside stand is always open, paying with the honor system, Indian Corn was $3.00 each or 2/$5.
The tall funky orange gourd in front of my haybail was $3.00ea or 2/$5.
HUGE Cornstalks were only $3.00, we didn't get those since we got ours for FREE, 
but GREAT price if you're looking :) Small Gourds are $.25 each, Medium Gourds were 2/$1, 
the blue pumpkin on top of the haybail was $3.00.
They even had pink pumpkins!!! 
I'm really tempted to go back and get one of those! 50% of the proceeds to Cancer Charity :)
The items here that were priced at 2/Fer pricing
we did get 2 of and my brother took the other half of the ones we got and we split the cost :)
Even the large white gourds that have those finger looking things coming up from them,
and the really red wierd looking one on the haybail were Only 2/$1!
Also went over to Wambach Farms on Culver Rd in Irondequoit today and got 3 more nice mums.
Reg pricing there is $6.99, $7.99, $9.99 and $19.99 PLUS they are all 25% Off Right Now!
I stuck them in baskets and kettles and such that I had laying around the garage.
If you live near a Lowe's they have Mums on Sale TODAY 3/$10!!!!
My cast iron birdbath may be broken, but I use it as a stand to display things at the holidays.
During the growing season I plant pretty little flowers in it :) Use and ReUse!
Garage Sales are another place to keep your eyes open at to save yourself money when the holidays come. And always keep your eyes peeled at the curb in the fall. SO many people throw out all their planters and gardening items it's rediculous! Even the chairs and table shown up above I got and the curb, and I freshened them up with a can of white spray paint. Whenever you see something interesting, just pull over and toss it in your trunk discreetly and keep on trollin :)
 Hopefully you enjoyed my little tour!